Saturday, December 29, 2007

survival mode has made me mute

I tend to gravitate towards news regarding socioeconomic and demographic subjects these days - topics that are really interesting to me. Culture, consumerism, citizenship, thoughts, actions, religion ... for those of you who read my blog (or at least used to read it before I went back to school and virtually barricaded myself in my room), you know these subjects intrigue me.

Although I am relatively young, I get a feeling that things use to be different. Now, I understand that nostalgia can be dangerous - there are some pretty ugly truths found in the past - but I still feel a sense of loss. Loss of values ... Loss of direction. Our culture no longer values things like saving, conserving, waiting, or sacrificing. I bring these up because they seem to plague my own behavior incessantly. I swear this rambling is going somewhere.

This is where the rambling is going: Another subject for another blog - "curbing my consumerism" or "sustainable living" (as in emotional, physical, spiritual, education, sustainability as well as the traditional sense of greening my life) - I will flesh these ideas out before the official start of the new year in order to take them on for better living in 2008.

I have been ill since Christmas Eve and coupled with the panic-feeling I have been living with since the beginning of Fall Term it has translated into a strange mood for me. I don't feel like blogging, sharing, reading, asking, or buying. I have been focused on picture hunting for my inspiration slideshow - think more design pictures like this, this, and this ... here are a few examples:

The transition of solid colors is pretty. The fun white chandelier looks great against the yellow.


Stripes and damask fabric (and my favorite free standing claw footed tub) = fabulous.


Check the square brick in the rounded fireplace ... love the contrast.


This is wallpaper on a fridge - love it.

I have also been doing lots of thinking ... thinking about self-improvement/reinvention/renovation/upgrade (whatever you want to call it) and how that can make me feel better. I have been hibernating, mostly trying to get better, but I think my sickness has just been a fortuitous event because I don't really want to be in the world right now ... what I mean is that I am evaluating and planning and not wanting to participate in real life just yet. It also helps (or doesn't depending on your point of view) that I have a dead-line for this behavior ... I have to jump back into life when I go back up to Oregon. Less than a week from today ... I need to start anew with me and with school. That is where the 2008 resolutions come in. More to be explored.

2 comments:

anniebish said...

Bethany,
You are doing great. I remember the days of grad school and they are tough! Since I am again a student, I can reconfirm that school is a challange...I have added you to my friends list so we can keep in touce via blogs :).

Anonymous said...

Everyone goes through periods of reflection like that, and frankly Irvine is the best place to point out how glaringly not green we can be...haha. And sometimes, the future planning is the best part. Hiding away in our childhood homes ... You of all people know that is somewhat of a habit for us ;) But my bit of advice as you plan your immediate future and plot changes to the way you live is to pick small things and stay positive. Instead of saying you will eliminate things, say you will add things! You know, like add a trip to a farmers' market on Saturdays. Add an apple a day. Add a walk in the mornings. Then tell me what you do so I can copy, haha.