Saturday, January 12, 2008

i like to think i am a lover ... but perhaps I am a hater sometimes

maybe i already blogged about this at some point, but i couldn't find it if i did ... although, i didn't look very hard ... anyway, here goes:

so i am at the university's rec center ... very nice set-up i might add ... and all i can think is how i hate the skinny pretty girls. i mean they are everywhere. i can't get away from them. i am on the eliptical (bad place to start) and i am surrounded by, like, 10 skinny pretty girls sweating their butts off (literally). i go up to the indoor track/stretching area and yup, skinny pretty girls are running around all perky like on the track ... like running for reals - not the fake running that is just to be seen.

And even worse than hating them because they are skinny and pretty ... i automatically assume they aren't very bright (isn't that awful!?) ... the thought process goes like this:

i hate that skinny pretty girl sweating it up on the elliptical over there. she looks amazing in spandex and has the flattest stomach i have ever seen. well, at least i am smart even if i am not the skinny pretty girl working out.

And then I debate to myself if I would give up my brain to have an amazing body like hers ... hahaha (you girls know exactly what I am talking about ... you know you have had a similar conversation with yourself ... right?! eek, i am a bad person, huh?)

Its unfair because these girls are at the university gym which means they are attending the university ... and they are probably very smart ... probably way smarter than I am. But I automatically assume they must spend more time in the gym than they do studying in order to maintain that level of fitness ... I mean who could do both???!!! And what an unfair comparison ... they are like 19 years old and next week ... I am going to be 25, which is not old by any means, but I mean come on, its not 19.

Sigh ... and there you have it. I am mean and shallow and envious ... the worst combination i can think of.

One of my resolutions this year - not to stop thinking those thoughts ... no I am not that unrealistic in my resolutions ... I am trying something even more impossible ... i am resolving to be one of those skinny pretty girls that everyone assumes isn't very bright. If I was skinny, I could handle the hater vibes from the other girls ... because I would know it was a hard journey ... cheers to the typical resolution of eating healthier and exercising more. And good luck to all those who have this one written down too.

(I know ... you are thinking - "she came out of blogging hibernation to say that?! man, that girl is messed up" ... but hey, I take the inspiration where I can get it.

3 comments:

Chelsi Ritter said...

come on, bethany! we are all thinking the same thing; at least you have the guts to say it! i always think, "why are they even here? i'm sure they can eat whatever they want and always look that good." eric says at least you can always go and buy butt shaping jeans, ha ha.

Lindsey Graves said...

Bethany you crack me up. I totally needed a funny blog entry just now! When you're pretty and skinny (not that you aren't beautiful) will you be too shallow to be my friends? I hope not, I think I'd cry all the time! Well cheers to your new years resolution, I went running yesterday and I'm so sore today I couldn't even semi jog across the street to avoid oncoming traffic, the cars actually had to slow down cause I was in so much pain! Hows that for in shape?!

Adam, Jeffi and Charlotte Anne said...

Hey Bethany, I somehow found your blog and am super excited about it.....I haven't seen you in ages (BYU days) but Shelly (Johnson) keeps me up-to-date on you. I love this entry about the skinny girls on the elliptical. I experienced that today and felt sorry for my own flabby tummy. LOL :) What are you gonna do? Anyway, I hope you are doing well. That is awesome you got to live in D.C. Ciao bella