Wednesday, November 22, 2006

"Umm, Is This Thing On? ... Ok then, Dear Diary ..."

This is the best idea ever.

What could be funnier/sadder than this? We all have stuff like this (at least the feely type of people do).

What is it? It like a poetry reading ... but of your high school journal! Haaaaaaaaahahaha .... so awesome. This is one review about it:

The Cringe Reading Series (there is also a blurb about adult kick ball teams in central park! ... please check it out)
A lot of people kept journals when they were teenagers—and
most of them would never, ever let those journals see the light of day. But on the first Wednesday of each month, a few brave souls at the Cringe Reading Series blow the dust off of these painful adolescent memories for the enjoyment of a roomful of strangers. Cofounder Sarah Brown has seen it all since the series began—letters, poems, even a rock opera. But journals, peppered with the deep, pimply shame of adolescence, are “hard to beat on the funny scale,” she says.
I guess it started out in LA and has spread across the country - who knew?

So of course, my next thought is to search for a similar reading here in the district. I found nothing. I guess this town is full of workaholics that take themselves too seriously ... or maybe its that they are all transplants and still have their high school journals in their high school bedrooms hidden in their nightstands or the back of their underwear drawer. If this is the case all you hill staffers and twenty-somethings running around in this city, while you are home for the holidays do us a favor and bring them back with you so we can get the DC version of cringe going on. Or if you know of this going on somewhere ... please let me know about it.

This has got me to thinking ... have I been out of high school long enough for my teenage angst and overly dramatic diary entries to be funny? I have been out of high school almost six years ... is that enough space and time between the heartaches and the drama to make people laugh? Or will it just be pathetic? Or is the reading of the diaries on stage really the funny part - the presentation. Because I think that people reading their own young teenage feelings is a much funnier presentation than the words themselves. I don't know ... you be the judge (I can't believe I am doing this). You can tell that I have seen way too many movies ... apparently I think in movie scripts when it comes to how I feel about the boys I dated.

This entry comes from a "rough draft" of a letter I was going to write I guy I was kind of dating in high school (I don't have a copy of what I actually ended up writing to him - but I HOPE I didn't really write ALL of it to him ... I have a sneaking suspicion I actually did ... eek!) We only dated two months really and a few months later I ended up dating a different guy that had a whole lot more impact in my life. And to be perfectly honest with all five of you that read my blog, I forgot that I was so into this guy. I remember hanging out with him and stuff, but according to this letter I found I was a lot more into him than I now remember. But it does offer a lot insight into my feelings toward the relationship to follow this one ... lots of dark and twisty going on in my adolescent days if you know what I mean. It is almost kind of sad ... or desperate ... or funny if it wasn't me. Anyway, here it is - you tell me if it is cringe worthy or just plain pathetic. Let's recap really quick ... I am barely 18 and we are by no means in love ... yet this is how dramatic I am:

"... I am giving you the blue glass heart you gave me, not because I don't want it, but because I want you to remember me. I want you to remember that you once cared for me, please don't forget. Don't forget that I was willing to take that chance. Maybe one day you will be willing to take it also. Maybe one day you can give the heart back to me, one day when you are ready to give not only the glass heart, but your own heart as well. Perhaps I will get this glass heart back, perhaps you'll keep it forever ... only time will tell."

1 comment:

mystic cher said...

it's great, not pathetic. the shows sound like something even i could do, and man do i have things to share. gotta love drama of the high school experience.