Sunday, November 19, 2006

Senator Reid ... I mean Brother Reid

Church today was amazing! The spirit there was very strong at Stake Conference ... the members in the Washington, DC Stake are so diverse and wonderful! The underlying theme was personal conversion and the affect and influence that this gospel has on each one of our lives. I was full of joy and excitement to see and hear the varying experiences had by those that make there home here in the Nation's capitol and the surrounding area.

The DC 1st ward choir sang "Love One Another" and "The Spirit of God" in both spanish and english, reflecting many of the members heritage. The spirit was strong.

Then a small white man told the story of his introduction to the church 20 years ago as a 30 year old business man all about himself (his words, not mine) and only concerned with success in the work place. He elaborated on how learning about the church and reading the Book of Mormon affected his life ... it was very inspiring. He beamed with pride as he spoke of his sons serving full time missions. He was grateful and it was wonderful to hear his thoughts.

Another man spoke, with similar sentiments but a very different background. A black man of large stature with a booming voice and full of joy. He beamed with happiness. He had been baptized a month ago and continued to expound on the blessings he was receiving through the gospel. He commented on the diversity of our stake. I hoped that the girl I tutor each week was there to hear him speak. She was.

And then my heart really began to beat out of my chest. THE FUTURE SENATE MAJORITY LEADER and current senate minority leader of the democratic party in the Senate of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, SENATOR HARRY REID ... was at church! He spoke also and told of his own conversion to the church when he was in college with his wife. It was magical ... it was amazing ... it was awesome. He is such a powerful, yet gentle man. After the meeting I followed behind him until I could shake his hand. His sweet wife got his attention for me (thank you Sister Reid) and I shook his hand and told him I was thankful for the work he was doing and the example he was setting ... and that my dad wanted to say hello. He shook my hand and hugged me and thanked me for my support. My heart was racing (am I strange?) - what a great opportunity to shake hands with a senator and call him brother. Brother Reid.

From people of humble circumstances, interns, inner-city dwellers, me ... to CEO's (my Stake President is CEO of Black and Decker), a former chief of staff for Dick Cheney (don't worry apparently he saw the signs early and got out of the administration a bit ago), owner of a world wide hotel chain, and the U.S. Senate majority leader ... my church is diverse. Every socio-economic and cultural background was represented in that room - and that is only ONE stake in a worldwide church! It was truly amazing to be in that meeting. Truly amazing to feel of that spirit. Different people united in the gospel. It made me happy to be apart of it. It helped me realize that God really does love each of us - he is not a respector of persons.

1 comment:

Lindsey Graves said...

well hello hello, you probably think I'm going to say something about this brother Reid deal but really I just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving. Why then am I writing it in your blog and not just sending it in an email...that I cannot devoulge at the present time. I joke I joke. Sooo I think your hot! and I miss your face as well as your charm and charisma. So I hope your next Blog will be titled "Turkey injustice in the capital" or "Pumkin Pie hormone injections!" Keep us all updated on the activists and what not...Utah county doesn't have quite the diversity as you. So that's my comment. Have a good one!