Friday, March 13, 2009

Pardon the Interruption

For all of you peeps and non-peeps alike ... the whole "BIG LOVE" thing going on right now is kind of a big deal. Generally I don't have a problem with the show (never seen it but the concept is not overly offensive to me) because I know that its television and that they got it all wrong anyway. I can let that all go. But what I do get upset about is hearing about the upcoming episode that depicts the temple ceremonies. The temple is the most important thing to me - its perhaps my most sacred and dear aspect of my belief.

Depicting it on television is not okay with me.

Those of you who know me, know that I don't get easily upset by the silly things that the world and the media do and say about the Mormons. I can take it all with a grain of salt and shrug it off. Making light or just being frivolous about the temple is the one area that I cannot shrug off. It makes me sad and upset and even angry. Sacred things are not to be trivialized.

The temple is the place I feel the most peace, I feel closest to God, and I feel at home. I learn something new every time I go. The spirit there makes me want to be better and to realize my potential.

That being said ... you may be wondering what the big deal is ... and why we build temples. The First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints complied a video and put it on YouTube to explain it. It is a beautiful overview.


3 comments:

Lindsey Graves said...

Isn't this so sad! It makes me sick... Good post, keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

man you said the words right out of my mouth.
it's so not o.k. to show that because it is a sacred thing and when i heard about it i was so mad.
thanks for writing the blog entry.

Peter said...

I have watched the first two seasons of Big Love and I liked it. I would often say that it depicts actual Latter-day Saints pretty acccurately. Our people can be a bit holier than thou but in general are good nice people who want to do the right thing. Those who have never been through the temple will not be able to understand how special, sacred and meaningful it is to us. The producers say they did it tastefully, but to me the tasteful thing would have been to leave it out. I think over and over to myself...they just don't get it.