Monday, January 26, 2009

triggers

i inserted this wonderful CD by this wonderful choir into my computer a few moments ago to add the playlist to my itunes ... then i went about putting things away as i prepared for bed. i was taking out my contacts and putting on my glasses when i heard a sound that triggered a memory. you know how a smell or a sound or a song suddenly brings back a vivid memory? its crazy how it just takes you back! that is what happened when itunes was done importing the CD - it makes that little "blip" sound (how on earth do you describe it?) to let you know that its completed the task at hand ... you know the one from back in the day of AOL/AIM when a "buddy" had sent you a message?! Does anybody else remember that?!



Sigh ... anyway i was instantly taken back to my freshman year in college (over 7 years ago) when my boyfriend and i would talk online across three states for hours at a time. that nervous excitement i got when i heard that sound - that he was online at the same time as me and wanted to talk. i was breathless with anticipation ... hanging on every letter of every word he typed and sent my way ... (wow - i was young and had it bad ... had it real bad .... hahahahaha - still friends with a few people that could definitely voucher for just how bad i had it!)

whoa ... i haven't thought about those conversations in forever ... strange how one little sound can stir a memory.

2 comments:

Sarah Jayne said...

Yes, you sure did have it bad!! Man...that was ages ago. Weird! I know what you mean with the sounds, smells, etc. It mostly happens with smells for me.

Chelsi Ritter said...

bethany i know what you mean about things triggering a memory. for me it's smells and music. you know the scent strawberries and champagne from victoria's secret? it's my favorite, and it reminds me of my first semester at byu. i had a world religions class and there was a girl in it that wore that fragrance. it was fall and i would take tests in the grant building. anyway, it takes me back.....
then there's basically any type of band that we'd listen to during man in the van at field school. jimmy eat world and incubus will always remind me of you, brad and laura. and i swear i can actually smell cow poo when i listen to outkast (yeah right, like i listen to outkast. but i mean when it's on the radio or something, it really takes me back!).