Monday, January 28, 2008

it only seemed appropriate ... at least to me

Perhaps some might view this as a little sad to post such pictures, but you all know how much I enjoy old cemeteries and thus I believe it is very fitting (more on this in a bit). My roommate and I took a walk through the Pioneer Cemetery that borders the southern edge of the University of Oregon campus today since church was canceled due to the most snow Eugene, Oregon has seen in a long while. We were excited for the winter wonderland! We felt like this:


AND THIS (Doesn't Ally look great in her bright yellow coat!):


Ally made a great point that snow makes everything so majestic and beautiful and I agreed that it was especially calm and peaceful in the cemetery ... here are some shots:





Now, the reason some may find these pictures of a snow covered cemetery a bit melancholy is because President Gordon B. Hinckley passed away tonight (Sunday January 27, 2008) at the age of 97. He was a wonderful man and an inspiring and loving prophet to all. The good he did in this life will continue to live on of course and he will be missed by many. I know that many are sad today, but we all must remember the teachings of the gospel - that this life is not the end and that we can be together in the eternities. The sweetest part of his passing however is that he is now with his sweet wife of 67 years who passed away in 2004.

Gordon Bitner Hinckley
June 23, 1910 - January 27, 2008

1 comment:

Chelsi Ritter said...

amen! two of my favorite things: oregon and president hinckley.