Saturday, May 19, 2007

You Are the Goddess of All That Is Good and Kind

I saw a GREAT movie tonight - The Waitress. It was a witty, dark, funny, sad, lovely and wonderful ... all at once. The characters are so deep, yet very basic and simple. They have dimension and accents like you would not believe. Each character has their own ... character (for lack of a better word) or personality, if you will. They are not archetypes of people ... they felt like real people. The script is AMAZING ... witty and quick ... light but also biting at times.

But the best part - my roomie and I were the only people laughing out loud in the theater ... and it was hilarious. Laugh out loud funny ... but the crowd acted like they didn't get the humor in it. So my thoughts are this - we saw the movie in a Georgetown theater. Did the upper crust (hahaha, no pun intended - wink, wink - as this movie is all about pie) of DC not understand the humor in it all? Were they not quick enough for the subtle nuances in the writing and the delivery? I would normally doubt that ... but this stoic crowd is making me think otherwise. Perhaps the problem lies in the time we saw the movie - it was a 7:35 pm show ... perhaps too early? Did we go at the "old people" time? But old people have a sense of humor as well - exhibit A: my dad (hi dad! love you!). Anyway - it made us laugh even more. A few highlights:

- pie naming
- spontaneous poetry (sooo funny)
- accents
- cast (Kerri Russell and Andy Griffith - awesome)
- GREAT one liners (hence the title of this post)

One review said this (mostly I picked this quote over others because it uses the term baroque to describe the pie names):
"Pies, as it happens, are what the movie's heroine uses for therapy. Stalled in a marriage to a crude galoot named Earl (Jeremy Sisto ), small-town diner waitress Jenna (Keri Russell ) sighs and folds her emotions into desserts with baroque names and quixotic ingredients: I Hate My Husband pie, I Don't Want Earl's Baby pie, Baby Screaming Its Head Off in the Middle of the Night and Ruining My Life pie. Pastry is her prose, the daily specials board her diary."
Sad side note ... the writer and director was killed last November. The film is now dedicated in her memory.

2 comments:

Lis said...

I heard this movie was great! And now that you've added your two cents I'll definitely have to check it out. Side note: Avoid Spiderman 3 at all costs!!!!

Lindsey Graves said...

so this is such a fun uplifting post, until the end! That's terrible... how did she die?