Wednesday, April 04, 2007

certifiably crazy

I inherited a lot of things at work from the girl that had the job before me. This is all understandable - desk, computer, in box, pencil holder, even some emails that are ongoing conversations or full or information that would be pertinent. But what I also inherited were files, which also make sense. Among these files for meetings, copyright requests, prizes and awards, etc etc is a very special file. One she named (affectionately I am sure) Looney Letters (her title, not mine).


Handwritten letters, photocopied scribbles, electrical tape, newspaper clippings, receipts from Winn-Dixie for denture cream and cigarettes - you know, normal things you send to nonprofit professional organizations.

One really great aspect is that there are regular senders. And when I say regular, I don't mean just once a week I get a letter from her ... no, like five letters in one day and they all have multiple stamps. My favorite part is that while the entire front and back is covered in address like information, each letter still manages to make it to my place of work - the US Postal Service picks the DC address out of all the options! Lucky me! Click here to check it out. Sometimes we make guesses as to how many letters we will receive that day. Its never just one these days. This particular one has been going on for a good three weeks I think. That is a lot of time, energy, and dedication - not to mention stamps.

My other regular is a little bit more irregular. He only sends a letter once in a blue moon but it always amazes me how scribbled handwriting and disconnected words can be threatening. The vibe it sends is just bad - it exudes craziness. And unlike the previous sender I mentioned above, these letters emit a scary and dangerous kind of crazy. Its a little disconcerting that such mail makes it to me considering I am so closely located on the Hill to the Capital building. But don't worry, I am obviously not his favorite recipient since I don't receive the originals of his letters. I assume he must be a busy crazy-letter-writing person because his mail consists of photocopied pages. Some might even consider it art - the arrangement of his words and the ferocity in which they are gone over and over again. Judging from his envelopes, I am guessing that the originals are brightly colored with various markers - but to me they are just a scary arrangement of black words on white paper. Perhaps I will never know if there are really beautiful color arrangements helping to make some sense out of the words ... and I am ok with that.

2 comments:

Meaghan said...

Although I appreciate the consistency of crazy number one, the entertainment value of crazy number two awards him the distinction of being my favorite. I often wonder what their lives are like, aside from the letter writing. Are they in a home? Are they on the streets? How do they pay for stamps? But then I wonder if it is a Jeckyl/Hyde situation. Are these people leading sterile, normal lives, holding down 9-5's only to return home at night and spew nonsense on paper, and then mail it to you?

Or, is the bigger question, why do we, collectively, spend so much time talking about them? My level of fascination with this is subject, and these people, seems excessive to me, but I can't stop. And here we are.

Annie said...

Bethany. Ha! I found you. This is Annie (Garlock) Reynolds. I've been leaving comments on all Irvine Stake girls today, it seems like. Anyway, hello my friend. I miss your long hair, too. :) It looks as though you're doing good - that makes me happy. I hope to see you in I-Town someday soon. I'll be checking in on you reguarly now that I've found you, just wanted you to know. Peace out!