Friday, February 02, 2007

a study on demographics - gym to gym

I have recently become a member of the WSC gym on Capitol Hill. It is conveniently located just a few blocks away from my office. This is really the only way I can get myself to the gym on a regular basis. I can't go home in between work and the gym, because we all know from my last post - I can be a hermit if I am not careful. I like to be in my house ... its nice. Oh, and my new gym buddy (Kapowski as Number Four lovingly refers to her), is a great motivator as well. Some days we do weights and other days we do "The Program" ... cardio in intervals ... its a blast.

And by the way - Kapowski and I are not only gym buddies, but in less than 13 days we will be travel buddies as well ... we are going to Europe - check for posts come March.

But back to the gym. Yesterday I noticed something funny about the television programing on all the main tvs in the Capitol Hill WSC ... CNN, local news, more CNN ... that is what you will find. I am not talking about the individual tvs on the cardio machines, I am talking about the big jumbo tvs mounted above our heads and beaming down on us with there closed captioning scrolling away (all too often with the wrong words completely, making for some very interesting dialogue). But when I go to the gym in Gallery Place / Chinatown the tvs have tabloid news ... Access Hollywood and MTV mainly. Does anyone else find that funny?

Now granted I go to the Capitol Hill gym Monday - Friday and the Gallery Place / Chinatown gym on Saturdays only and maybe that has something to do with it - but really are the demographics that stereo-typical? You can't tell me that hill staffers and LOC workers don't love them some celebrity gossip once in awhile! And what about those hip downtown capitalists??? They like to know what's going on in the world too! Or maybe its an ego thing for the hillers ... perhaps they'll catch a glimpse of themselves, or their bosses, or someone they've walked by in the cannon building. Maybe those young hip business professionals are interested in Hill news too, just not Capitol Hill news - more like Beverly Hills news.

Or maybe I have put too much thought into this ... maybe that's just what the staff puts on? Either way I will still be taking note

No comments: