Friday, October 06, 2006

"blame it on the rain - yeah, yeah"

It is a wonderfully wet and rainy morning this October 6th ... and really the only reason it is wonderful and not just - whatever - is that I had the pleasure of wearing my new RAINBOOTS! How fun is that! My co-worker has worn her's before and inspired me that I must get a pair of my own. I mean they are great! Your shoes are safely tucked away in your bag, so they are not soaked through by the time you get to work - and your pants! Your pant legs haven't soaked up water all the way to your mid-calf. Hey, when you have to walk twelve minutes from the metro to the office, a whole lotta water can be soaked up by your pants! Not a fun way to start the day.

And so I bought myself a pair at Target. I have had them for weeks with no real occasion to wear them, until today. They aren't just any rainboots, they are polk-a-dot rainboots. What more could a girl that has never ever owned or wore rainboots in her life - ask for? But not only did I have these magnificently cool rainboots to wear, but my bright turquoise rain coat to match!

So here I am with my rainboots on, my jeans folded up a little (the only thing hipper would have been if my pants would have fit inside the rainboots - that would have been sooo in - hehehehe) and my bright trench all tied up ... with my umbrella of course. I was feeling pretty ok about this whole really rainy weather. And just to add to my excitement an older man complimented my rainboots in the metro - no one ever talks in the metro in the morning! How nice is that!

As I am walking to work and thinking about how great it is that my jeans aren't soaking up a gallon of water right now (yes, I can wear jeans to work and not just because its friday ... my office is cool like that) I just smile. What could be better than walking through puddles and not getting wet, holding an umbrella and listening to 'Name' by Goo Goo Dolls and 'Novocaine' by Green Day? Mellow music for a mellow morning.

My thoughts also wandered to a memory of about a month ago. Labor day was spent with some old and new friends hiking about in Manassas and it began to rain a bit (what is it with raining on long weekends here?) While hiking, a few of us tried to think of all the songs that have the word rain and we would sing out parts of the chorus and crack up ... in defense of my awful voice, one of my friends has a great voice and is brilliant at remembering songs. It was tons of fun as some random songs were suggested by some very unexpected participants in the group. 'Rain Drops Keep Falling on My Head', 'Candy Rain', 'She's My Kind of Rain', 'Kiss the Rain', 'Let the Rain Fall Down...', 'Its Raining Men', 'November Rain', etc. etc. etc. Ahhh, good times. I can't remember all of them - but if you can think of some others, please let me know!

5 comments:

April said...

Ooooh and don't forget "I bless the rains down in Africa..." I love that one. Man, good memories.

Lis said...

Polka-dot-rainboot club!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wonderlis/175920491/

mystic cher said...

Blind Melon's "No Rain"...ah the 90's.

Anonymous said...

Dont let the rain come down on me; Fire and Rain; And I think its gonna rain today; I cant stand the rain [supa dupa fly]...man I love song trivia!

Anonymous said...

Candy Rain just took me way, way back. Ah, Soul 4 Real. Don't forget-
raindrops keep fallin on my head, November Rain (G&R),
Rainy days and mondays (always get me down)
Blame it on the rain
Don't rain on my parade (Babara Streisand)
and a personal favorite- I'm only happy when it Rains (Garbage).