Friday, June 19, 2009

the "story"

okay ... there have been requests for the engagement story ... and here it is:

we don't really have one.

i know. lame.

there was no getting down on one knee (per my request) ... no over the top declarations of love. there was just a conversation while talking about family that resulted in nate saying: "we need to get something for this" (holding on to the ring finger on my left hand.)

it started with a friendship that grew slowly over time into something worth going out on a limb for. the minute our friendship changed (which at the time seemed sudden, but looking back there was a very slow build up) ... something inside me just said "this is it ... and you've known it for a lot longer than you realize."

and then there was kissing and it was really all over for me. he kissed me the way i have been waiting to be kissed for my entire life. he held me close and kissed me like he meant it.

so then there was talking and planning ... and knowing it was right ... and realizing that we both felt that way.

after talking and realizing how we felt ... there were discussions about the future ... how he wanted to go back to korea and teach and how he didn't know what that meant for us, but that he didn't have to go back ... but he wanted to. and after talking around the issue i said, not even really knowing what i would say once he asked, "just ask me nate" ... and he said: "would you consider moving to korea?" to which I replied: "only if we were married" ... to which he replied: "okay." Funny enough, I think he was super relieved to hear that! He was scared I would just flat out say no.

so really our story is this:

there was just nate and bethany and a lot of talking about how we wanted to take on this thing called LIFE together. how we had never felt this way before. how we couldn't believe we had been missing it for sooo long (we have been friends since September 2007 for goodness sake.)

and then we couldn't deny what we both knew ... that we were meant to be together ... and how exciting that was .. and so basically we went from friends - to getting married.

we now joke that we need to make up a story to tell people so that they will feel more comfortable with our story ... we are fine with how it happened - because its right for us ... but we know that other's are a bit confused and concerned.

it sounds crazy, i know, but i have never been so certain about anything in my life. he makes me want to be better and i am excited to share my life with him. the future just seems brighter and more exciting because i get to share it with him. he is everything i have always wanted. i feel calm and good and happy when i think about us.

i can't wait to be sealed to him for time and all eternity.

1 comment:

heather said...

Oh Bethany! This is exactly what I was talking about! This is so perfect. I loved it and again I'm so happy for you.
I just love that you knew after he kissed you. Seriously, perfect story. I get it, you guys were friends and then all of a sudden it just clicked. Remeber Chris and I? It was two years and then I was like, "this is it"
Anyway, thank you for sharing. Loved it, loved it!
LOve ya