Monday, December 22, 2008

my old self

A lot of people say that when you lose weight you have "a new you" or "a new body" or something like that. I can honestly say that I don't agree. Its more like I am my old self again. I feel like the girl I have been seeing in the mirror the last few years (okay lets be completely honest and say the last 6 years) is not me. She reminded me of me ... but something was off. She lost that sparkle in her eye and it had been replaced with sadness.

As much as I hate to admit it ... losing 30 pounds really does make you feel better about yourself. I am running for the first time since my sophomore year in HIGH SCHOOL. I am eating better and I feel like a million bucks.

I feel brave posting this ... but what has helped me is my accountability to myself and others ... and while I realize that these pictures are not exactly comparable, I hope you can see the progress. So here goes:


Taken August 17, 2008 ... 3 days before I started "the program."





Taken December 18th, 2008 - minus 30 pounds and in new jeans!
(haha - almost exactly 4 months later - I didn't even plan that)

One of the sad things is that I have gotten out of the habit of taking pictures of myself ... so currently, this is the only picture I have taken since I started my journey, so I need to work on that. Also, the journey is not over ... I have some more to lose and I know its going to be even harder since I am at the same weight I was when I started my second year of college in 2002 and thus the remaining 10-20 pounds have been with me for a very very long time. So, wish me luck and send me good vibes to keep it up.

9 comments:

Tracy said...

You look great! What an inspiring story. What is this "program" you are talking about? Let us in on the secret!

Sarah Jayne said...

You look absolutely awesome B! I'm glad you posted the picture...it's been a while since I've seen one of you! Miss you tons. I hope you have a great Christmas.

And I'll be joining you on the weight loss quest...I've got about 30 to lose...sheesh! You're my inspiration!

Lindsey Graves said...

SWEET HOLY MOSES! YOU LOOK FANTASTIC!!!! I'm so proud of you!!! Bethany you're my hero, congratulations you look like a million bucks!

ps you're so brave for posting before pictures, I have all mine totally hidden I don't dare let anyone see them!

heather said...

I'm sending you ton of good vibes! I can totally tell and you look HOT! Keep up the good work and yes you are brave for posting that picture!

Cherie said...

Way to Go Bethany!!! You look amazing :) I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Lis said...

Congrats!! You look fantastic!

Clarkson said...

You look AMAZING!!! I can't wait to see your progress in person.

Darby Family said...

My Beautiful Bethany! You look excellent. Good luck with the rest you are wanting to lose (especially during the difficult holiday season). I hope you are having very Merry Christmas... and I hope you didn't get stranded in Oregon like everyone else.

Bethany said...

okay ... so the program is weight watchers ... or as I like to call it - w squared. I swear by it even tho I am the youngest person there. Its totally worth the awkwardness - but again I am huge on the accountability factor and it works for me. In the spirit of true confessions - its a lot harder to stick to the program while visiting family during the holidays ... i still need to be in control to stick with it ... basically old habits die hard.