Monday, July 23, 2007

Hill Cumorah

Since my time is wearing thin on the East Coast I am trying to seize every opportunity to see the sites on this edge of the country. I was lucky enough to stumble upon a weekend trip being organized to up-state New York for the last performance of the Hill Cumorah Pageant. My travel mates and I made some interesting observations surrounding the pageant. Mainly this:

If the Mormon people have anything remotely similar to the idea of a pilgrimage to mecca as Muslims do - this would be it. Actually any historic church site will do ... but Wayne and Seneca Counties in New York (Palmyra and Fayette in particular) can be described as the "birth place" of Mormonism ... or in other words, where the gospel was restored to the earth. How amazing is that!

Beautiful farm land in Fayette, New York

Joseph Smith had what is known as the First Vision and the Book of Mormon was first printed in Palmyra, while the Book of Mormon was translated and the church was formally organized in Fayette. It was beautiful. And the pageant was amazing as well ... there were pyrotechnics and water spraying on the STAGE!

The stage before the sunset and the actors took their places


This is a shot from atop the Hill Cumorah -
looking down on the stage and at all the seating set up for the pageant.

I have decided that I need to summer in upstate New York. The small town main streets and the old buildings that line them are great. The mom & pop shops, antiques, wide-open spaces ... everything! I just loved it. We stayed at this camp by Seneca Lake and I think it would be so fabulous to go boating, go to town fairs, and attend the pageant!

Bay windows ... a favorite of mine. And I love the pillars on the porch.


I love the details of this house!


This is not that great of a picture - but this is the original of one of
my favorite paintings often found in church buildings and temples all over the world.
It is of Christ appearing to the people of the American Continent after being resurrected.


Books in the print shop.


The Print Shop where the Book of Mormon was first printed.

1 comment:

Lindsey Graves said...

That looks like so much fun! I want to do that so bad, I've been to the Manti Pageant and the Mesa one so New York needs to be my next one right?