Saturday, June 02, 2007

Eastern Market Fire

The next item on my reflection list (and in my iphoto) is the fire that occurred in Eastern Market on April 30, 2007. The 134 year old market is located on Capital Hill. Funny thing was that morning I was planning on taking the long way to work and get off the metro at Eastern market instead of the Capitol South, the stop before because I wanted to stop by and grab something for breakfast at the market. But once I was on the metro with my headphones on I was in auto-pilot and got off at my usual stop Capitol South like every other robotic hill staffer or LOC bookworm. It wasn't until I was half-way to work when I realized I got off too soon. I hate when I feel like a zombie and don't even think about what I am doing - I just follow my routine and am not even aware of the world around me. That makes me feel like I am just barely getting by in life and not really living.

Anyway - it was a somber mood when I went by the Market on my lunch break. I couldn't believe how the windows had just melted - they looked like sheets of caramel or satin curtains the way they draped down in the frames. It was a sad sight. Thankfully no-one was hurt in the fire that occurred early in the morning before anyone arrived.













These were taken over the course of two days after the fire. Easter Market will be missed and I am sad that the beautiful architecture was damaged.

No comments: