Sunday, May 13, 2007

Spontaneity

Sadly, I am not spontaneous. I am a planner. But I would like to be more spur-of-the-moment ... because I am trying to be more fun. I mean, I think I am fun in my own way just not in the adventurous and spontaneous way ... and I would like to try to be a little less structured. You are only young once - right?

So this weekend I did something out of character for me - I decided to go camping in Shenandoah National Park with less than 24 hours notice. While it was not like I up and went in an hour, it was still on the fly for me. Also, due to some poor planning on my part I ended up showering and packing in less than an hour ... this is pushing it for me! I like to make plans - I am flexible - but I still usually have a general plan to improvise from. I didn't know where we were going, I only knew two of the six people and I had packed no food or water with me - I just didn't have the time. We were going to buy food and a tent on the way out of town.

In my world this type of trip is crazy and just mocking the universe. This situation was just begging for something to go wrong and one could argue that something did - there was a lot of rain (that is an understatement) and of course, I forgot my toothbrush. Classic. But guess what - it was a blast! Well the part where we were sleeping in a leaky tent and a wet sleeping bag wasn't the highlight, but the fact that the only camp site with vacancies was either Goony Park or Jellystone Camp Ground (yes, a-la Yogi bear) made for an eventful start to the camping experience. Goony Park was hands down a NO-GO when we saw the woman who ran the place and the fact that the bathrooms were labeled "dump station" and had signs that said - "water not for drinking" ... not very confidence inspiring. The other girls and I convinced the boys that Yogi Bear and the "family friendly" camping ground was a better alternative to the witch looking woman asking for $50 for each camp site.

Yogi and Boo-Boo it is! Ahhhh - it was great! Not really like camping, more like sleeping in a tent and pretending to be outdoorsy, but still so fun! Roasting hot dogs and marshmallows and just chatting with good people. And then the rains came and our little tent could only take so much before it started letting the water come in. Three of the girls defected from our tent at various points in the night to sleep in the car - but I am proud to report that I slept (lightly) in the tent the entire time. I had one wet spot in my sleeping bag that I carefully avoided for the duration.

All in all - I love to camp. It is so much fun. And being spontaneous is fun too! Road trips are great - its nice to get out of the city once and a while and to sing with your friends as you drive through the beautiful VA countryside.

I heart Shenandoah National Park. Anyone want to go camping soon? Oh wait, don't tell me until the night before - I like to be spontaneous.

3 comments:

Lindsey Graves said...

haha, I love camping! This sounds a bit more fun than the couple months you spent digging in the desert over in Utah. Let's tackle the Appalacian...:)

Anonymous said...

I would like to say that I stayed in the tent until 6:30 am, which is basically the whole night.

Bethany said...

It is true Ann, you did. P.S. - no anonymous posts on my blog ok!