Monday, April 16, 2007

Replacing Lena the Leopard (and the DC metro)

With my up coming move I am going to have to make a purchase. A big purchase. The biggest purchase I have ever made ... a brand new car. I have owned a car before but not a new car (growing up I had my good old black/gold Saturn SC1 Coupe I called Lena the Leopard because I had leopard print seat covers in it ... look I was a sophomore in high school, ok). I won't be making the purchase until this summer, but I am looking around and checking out the options.

Here are my wishes/requirements/hopes/dreams in a new car:

- smallness: I want it to be a small car, but it must be a four door.
- affordablity: It must not cost me too much - I am going to be a graduate student with loans already, I don't need a crazy car payment as well but I am getting a new car because I will have it for awhile. And I will be far away from my dad who won't be able to pick me up on the side of the road if I break down.
- fuel efficiency: I would like it to not cost a bundle to fill up and to get good gas mileage. I would also like it to be as environmentally friendly as possible. This is very important to me.
- cuteness: I want it to be cute and to look cute in it, of course!
- Gadgets and gizmos: It doesn't have to have a lot of gadgets and gizmos except that I would love it if it had an ipod dock built in - that would be great.

So according to these things - I was thinking about the following:

The Scion xA (I guess production stopped in 2006 and now they have a new model - the Scion xD out this summer). I like this car. I see it zipping around town here in DC and I like it more and more every time I see it. Its a great city car - it fits in lots of small spaces.

The Chrysler PT Cruiser. Its a little bit bigger than most cars I am thinking of, which means more room in the back for luggage, etc. Also it has fold down and removable seats which could be nice and handy. Lots of people think its an ugly car - and that is ok. I think its fun. I would love to have the orange one pictured in the link, but I think that is only available on the highest end one.

The Honda Fit. The Fit is Go - I love that slogan. Its sooo ... sooo Japanese sounding to me. This might be tooo much of a hatchback look than I want. It comes in orange, but its a burnt orange that I don't think I can handle. One of the pictures shows an alpaca in the back seat to give you an idea how roomy it is ... like that really helps since I don't really know how big (or small) an alpaca is. But you gotta love the Honda ad team. Of course the sport is cooler and more expensive.

Really those are the only small cars that I have found that I like with my preliminary look. Any comments or suggestions? Not that I have to decide today - but its good to get a feel for what is out there.

1 comment:

Meaghan said...

I love my Honda, and the fit seems wicked fun! But what about the Mini?? Not a four door, but you would have me drooling all over it...isn't that incentive enough?