Wednesday, March 28, 2007

So Mad I Can't Even Express Myself

I don't even know how I came across the news, but I did about an hour ago ... and I am angry. And upset, and confused, and saddened, and shocked. I know that BYU is conservative, but I never thought that my alma mater would do this:

I want to cry. WHYYYY? Quoting from the article linked to above:

"He may be the most unpopular vice president in history and he may be the most unpopular person in America right now, so, yes, where else could he go?" ... "It doesn't surprise me the White House called back and wondered if BYU would take him. I seriously doubt he'd be welcome at a lot of other universities."

Cheney's job approval ratings ranged from 28 percent to 36 percent in national polls done in the past two weeks by Gallup and Time.

I don't even know what to say, I am that upset. So here is a reader's response that will help me to articulate the way I feel since I am at a loss for words on this one ... and we all know how rare that is.
Poor Speaker Selection

I was listening to the radio on my way home from school Friday and was dismayed to hear Vice President Dick Cheney would speak at this year's commencement ceremony. With the last four years featuring Elders Hales, Scott, Ballard and Tingey as speakers, I was excited to have my parents and in-laws attend my graduation. In stark contrast to these men of God, however, we will have politician -- not only a politician, but one who is entangled in controversy and scandal. Having the vice president speak would normally be a great honor to the university, but inviting one who is so divisive can only be interpreted as a political statement, and a university run by the LDS Church should be, like the church, apolitical.

Our commencement speaker should be someone who gives advice and encouragement as we enter the next phase of our lives. I don't believe a vice president whose closest advisor was convicted of a felony only two weeks ago has the moral authority to do so. I doubt any other university in the nation would tolerate such a speaker. At very least, I hope the university is not using tithing funds to encourage him to come.
Ryan Frei
Bremerton, Wash.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Bethany I am sorry! This is no good. It is sad that he will bring such controversy and anger on a day that should be bringing so many people such joy! Graduation is about achievement, not political turmoil. Yikes, those poor graduates.

Lis said...

And who knows how he might disrupt the ceremony (beyond the protests and all). Let us not forget that he shot an old man in the face.

But seriously, that really stinks. Hey! You never know though, maybe it'll get some Daily Show coverage. Just trying to look on the sunnyside.

Lindsey Graves said...

hahah... don't mind me, I'm just laughing

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bethany said...

For the record - if you are not going to own up to your comments on my blog, especially if they are extremely bold and opinionated - I will delete your post. I express my opinions on my own blog, I own up to them. Don't post anonomously please. Thank you.